Saturday, February 18, 2012

Abar Blog-baji




I took the header photo on one of my aimless, solitary walks on Christmas eve. Winter holidays is the time of the year when the foreign students get a reminder that they are in fact on their own. Some smarten up and hang out with the desi contingent. The anally stubborn solitary animals like me merely turn the collars of their winter parkas up and keep walking. Anyway, as I took the photo it struck me what a perfect example of incongruity and anachronism it was. Nothing really made sense. It looks like a scene that's certainly not set in India. Then what's up with the stray cattle and pigs? And that one of them is actually sitting on the tram line causing the driver to come out and apparently coax it to move? The eighteenth-century buggies and a woman in BLUE SHORTS??!!! What on earth is going on? And how very representative of my feeling of being out of place and not belonging on the eve of a family-oriented holiday! Freaky!





No comments:

Post a Comment